by Jeff Brown
Throughout the story, you also learn about the relationship Stanley has with his brother, Arthur. Arthur understandably goes through lots of different emotions and phases as the younger brother of Flat Stanley. I don’t know that kids will pick up on it as much, but I think Jeff Brown really made their brotherly relationship seem realistic.
- There are LOTS of other Flat Stanley books. If you don’t own any, I’d suggest getting the boxed set of the original collection (6 titles) to start: The Flat Stanley Collection. I found the whole boxed set on Amazon in “used – very good condition” for $6.65 shipped. Of course, you can always check the library, too, especially for the first to see if your child is interested!
- If your child likes the original books, there are also at least 9 Flat Stanley’s Worldwide Adventures books so far, too. 🙂
- The only questionable/objectionable thing I found (for a preschooler) in the original Flat Stanley book was this conversation between the two thieves (pages 49-50):
“What would we do to anyone who tried to capture us, Max?” the first man asked.
“We would kill him. What else?” his friend replied.
- I just changed the word “kill” to “get” and kept on going, but you could just skip that whole part and it wouldn’t take anything away from the story really. It’s a very short conversation and much less menacing than this short excerpt probably makes it seem. But then again, I always recommend you read any book you aren’t familiar with first before reading it to a child!
Flat Stanley Links:
- The Flat Stanley website.
- From this page, you can read about the Flat Stanley Project and how you can start it with your child. Basically you create a “flat” Stanley and send him off on adventures via the mail or email. Check it out!
- The official Flat Stanley Project Facebook page.
- A FREE Flat Stanley app for iPhone.
- My Pinterest board for Flat Stanley
- Feel free to leave links in the comments section if you know of any good Flat Stanley resources or blog posts I should pin! I will be continually adding to this as I find more!!
This post may contain affiliate links.